The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
NC`
NC`
Top contributor
Top contributor

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Empty ‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:14 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bearish-divergence-is-warning-investors-not-to-buy-the-dip-in-the-stock-market-2015-09-04

A chart signal that warns you not to buy can be just as useful as one that warns you it’s time to sell. Bearish divergences don’t necessarily suggest investors should sell, but they do warn that when a breakdown in price does occur, they should not fight it. The pattern now indicates the index could fall a lot further before the opposite “bullish divergence” appears.
smallville
smallville
Top contributor
Top contributor

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Empty Re: ‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:19 pm
Good one...

S&P 500 may fall near 1400-1500 as the first support.. If macro economies are worse at their levels, the more deeper the steep could be..

We should apply same for ASI as well and check their levels..

Top contributor
Top contributor

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Empty Re: ‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:33 pm
Thanks NC for sharing.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:06 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Thank you. Let see the accuracy of the prediction in short term?

Presently CSE does not have any issue as such.

Hybrid
Hybrid

Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:47 pm
Looks like many factors are making a composite impact on our CSE!

The Elections of course, the indecision in selecting the Ministers and agreeing on a National Govrnment, the global markets falling.

Now we have on our hands the "Blood Moon" on the 28th of Sept., Rise of the Japaneese stocks, increase in the refugee crisis, free floating USD/LKR, production overcapacity in China.

What can we make of this scenario?

Let's hope that JKH, COMB, HNB, DIAL, NEST makes a comeback soon.
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:19 pm
There is no apparent Bearish divergence in CSE right now.

AND;

I am planning to have a dip in the dip this time very soon.

(BTW: Thanks NC for the post +)
malanp

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:00 am
HUNTER wrote:There is no apparent Bearish divergence in CSE right now.

AND;

I am planning to have a dip in the dip this time very soon.

(BTW: Thanks NC for the post +)

If you look at charts, it will not show a Bearish Divergence, however, fundamentally still there is a possibility that, prices might come down later after short term prices up, or get stagnated for a while..

That amounts to a technical Bearish Divergence..

Last edited by malanp on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
sashimaal
sashimaal
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 am
Thanks NC for the article and SLS/Hunter/Malan for explaining that CSE doesn't have a Bearish Divergence. +
mymoney

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:15 am
Is divergence always a trusted indicator ?, Bellow CIND 5 year weekly char shows a  
bearish divergence in RSI and MACD also, But I don't think CIND is going to crash  Surprised

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Cind12
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:05 am
mymoney wrote:Is divergence always a trusted indicator ?, Bellow CIND 5 year weekly char shows a  
bearish divergence in RSI and MACD also, But I don't think CIND is going to crash  Surprised

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Cind12

As I have observed, B.D. (Or Bullish Divergence) does not work always in daily charts in CSE. Probably work in weekly charts (I have not checked though).
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 am
Please keep discussion going, much appreciated.
Nuinth
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:32 am
Nice discussion, keep it up guys.
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:22 pm
Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)
Had a look at the weekly ASI.

As I noticed,

There is no Bearish Divergence in ASI right now.
There has been a Bullish Divergence at the end of 2008 and a Bearish D. at the end of 2010 which would have worked very well.

There has been a Bearish D at the end of 2014 but has not been very effective.
That could mean CSE is has been very stable during the very recent past (and still).

Here is the chart.
(Please note that different parties can interpret these differently; I love to hear other views)

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Bearis10
NC`
NC`
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:24 pm
Seems some're get misunderstood.. Don't get mess this with CSE. I've notice this article recently, and I shared for to improve the knowledge and understanding of Technical readings.. (Many are known this divergence patterns, but need to remind these basic understandings time to time)
However, good discussion is going... Very Happy
And Hunter explained ASI with a chart.. Thanx for it.
There was a divergence of ASI, but now divergence has break.. I'll explain this at evening, when I got a time... Very Happy
NC`
NC`
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:14 pm
Bearish divergences and bullish divergences can be identified in momentum indicators, which measure the rise or fall in price, or in other words strength of the trend.
Trend means series of higher highs (HH) or lower lows (LL). Divergences are hard to identify when ranging or in accumulation or some times not at all.
Trend is like a rubber ball which bump when it on floor. At each time it hits on floor(resistant) it waste some energy so at next time, it'll not make a new high and at each time it reduce the height. Same in a stock trend, at each high ( hit resistant) selling pressure rise and buying pressure reduce. At each high sellers are rush to book profit and buyers interest get lower as price moves up. So, latter it forms double tops, triple tops (Reversal patterns) etc.. Such as rubber ball stops it bumps after energy is gone.
Divergences occurs when the momentum get reduces which means the rate of climb or the strength of the trend.
However, there're certain principles need to know when using indicators. Most important thing is to know is chart it self is the Boss. (which can be see by your naked eye without any indicators). Indicator is Assistant. So keep in your mind " Do not keep assistant as your boss". So, do not take decisions based on indicators.
Divergence is something as see as "yellow colour" light in traffic signal light. "Yellow colour" say signal that "Get ready". Same in here, divergence say get ready for any thing, but we don't know which colour next it take by the master chart. Sometimes might be green again or Red. So, divergences are taken as warning signals.
NC`
NC`
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:48 pm
Thanx Hunter... And Hunter has explained, and I agree with him. At this moment we cannot indentify divergence in ASI. This's just addition to his graph.
‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Bearis10
And do not forget indicator is just assistant. Do not take decision based on assistant and donot get messed all using indicators, bcz chart may one thing and indicator say another thing, But most important is the chart it self. Indicator is just assistant.
(compare those with trending stocks all time (their past) and you may understand how they behave)...
Very Happy

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:40 pm
Thanks NC and Hunter for a thought full education
smallville
smallville
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:57 pm
To have more accuracy, we need to consult the Weekly Charts not daily charts..

Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:52 pm
A good discussion after sometimes,Divergence is a useful pattern but should not use as a rule of thumb.It's a sign of possible trend reversal.But it may not happened.
As Small mentioned weekly charts are better than daily charts.Usually charts work best in trending markets.
Our CSE is relatively a small market.So the chances of charts to go wrong is higher as the liquidity is low.

Can't agree with NC on assistance matter.The boss can not work properly in the absence of non of his assistances.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:23 am
Hunter, thanks for the effort...

I see a divergence in 2014 and late 2010 at CSE.

But where is the one in 2008/2009? My eyes couldn't spot one ? Is it deceiving me?

HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:21 am
slstock wrote:Hunter, thanks for the effort...

I see a divergence in 2014 and  late 2010  at CSE.

But where is the one in 2008/2009?  My eyes couldn't spot one ? Is it deceiving me?

Zoomed in to 'Daily' for clarity.

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Bearis11

Anyway, in my view, these patterns cannot be proven scientifically; there is some subjectivity associated.
smallville
smallville
Top contributor
Top contributor

Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:45 pm
All indicators are laggin indicators.. even RSI, ADX, MACD.. However, they can give u a good indication what's gonna happen next.. But also they can give you wrong implications - and thats why they are called "laggin"..

See KZOO chart for a change.. It almost gave a buy before NP buyin in.. But the prices didnt match noh?
But for matters like indexes we can still have a good idea using indicators.. And u can always use price action to find support levels even without indicators Smile

So in modern days, our action before indicators "show" it make sense..

‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Empty OSEA building positive divergence

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 pm
‘Bearish divergence’ is warning investors not to buy the dip in the stock market Osea10

OSEA is consolidating 23-25.50 range while we can see some slight positive divergence in both RSI and MACD. Is OSEA building some positive momentum silently ?
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:50 pm
I mentioned my view on OSEA last week.

http://forum.lankaninvestor.com/t4908p285-this-weeks-most-discounted-101-shares-by-hunter#50140

We can expect few more counters making positive divergence within next few weeks (in my view).
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:11 pm
Now close to 7100.
Yellen, Geneva and Warrant 22. Basketball
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum