The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER

+21
smallville
Ethical Trader
Senarath67
Rana
Admin
The Invisible
lanka
ruwan326
WRRKUMARA
nuwanmja
yellow knife
Leon
pathfinder
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
serene
nihal123
Backstage
slstock
LSE
Topcat
HUNTER
25 posters
Go down
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER Empty 104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am
Message reputation : 100% (5 votes)
Dear Friends,
I am coming to the forum after a long break. Being away mean you miss a lot but, on the other hand, you can look at things more openly.

I noticed there are lot of useful and thoughtful posts made by many of 'senior' as well as 'relatively new' members.

Having said that, I noticed, still there is some opportunity for me to try filling some gaps related to technical trading. Technical trading fits my lifestyle also these days since I am yet to allocate time for those lengthy funda-technical analysis.

GIVE ME YOUR VIEW HERE:
=================
I am thinking of learning things in this tread using experiments, and sometimes the 'hard way'.
My idea is to; decide on one technical trading technique; take one trade a week, continue for two years; and review what we will have experienced and learnt.

This is an open invitation for all of you; you like to participate in this two-year-long experiment? Without knowing what the outcome would be? Take your calculated risks? Take your bets on market emotions?

Let me know.....
Topcat
Topcat

104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER Empty Re: 104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:47 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Im positive and eagerly waiting to taste the experiment.
LSE
LSE
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER Empty Re: 104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTER

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:02 pm
Dear HUNTER

Welcome back to the team mate.... cheers cheers cheers

HUNTER wrote:Dear Friends,
I am coming to the forum after a long break. Being away mean you miss a lot but, on the other hand, you can look at things more openly.

I noticed there are lot of useful and thoughtful posts made by many of 'senior' as well as 'relatively new' members.

Having said that, I noticed, still there is some opportunity for me to try filling some gaps related to technical trading. Technical trading fits my lifestyle also these days since I am yet to allocate time for those lengthy funda-technical analysis.

GIVE ME YOUR VIEW HERE:
=================
I am thinking of learning things in this tread using experiments, and sometimes the 'hard way'.
My idea is to; decide on one technical trading technique; take one trade a week, continue for two years; and review what we will have experienced and learnt.

This is an open invitation for all of you; you like to participate in this two-year-long experiment? Without knowing what the outcome would be? Take your calculated risks? Take your bets on market emotions?

Let me know.....
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:05 pm
Hunter, I have not always been here.
Came back recently due to a crucial time for CSE/Forum.

But on 2-3 occasions , I was here I specifically remembered you and  
posted a note for you also. Once one of your own threads.
But I never heared back from you. So I kept quiet.

Anyway , let see this new experiment of yours.

Also there several important ( for this time)  threads you can participate
if you like  to.

Last edited by slstock on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:56 pm
Why not 93 or 122 ? scratch
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm
සාදරයෙන් පිළිගනිමු.

ඔබගේ මෙම අත්හදා බැලීමට සහභාගී වීමට  කැමතියි.

වැඩි විස්තර කියමු කෝ බලන්න.

Very Happy
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:14 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Thanks all for your comments and interest shown.

@SLS, I always had very positive interactions with you. Sorry for missing your comments in the recent past. Will check and see how I do some catch up.

@ Backs,
Once a week, 52 weeks a year = 104 experiments in two years.
(I am just rationalizing the random number my friend, don't worry much)

@Nihal, @Topcat, Probably you have already mastered your trading skills; probably not yet. Anyway, I will define my rules of the game first in this thread before jumping in to water.

@LSE, you will be a good resource for me to depend on in this experiment. Hope you will hand there for next two years. Very Happy Very Happy

I wish @Path, @Small and few others will join the discussion down the line.

Meanwhile, all of you interested in technical trading, please think of a set up (technique) we can repeatedly use during next two years, once a week, to expect making a decent profit within an acceptable time-frame.
We will be using that single set up for 104 times to see the validity of technical trading.
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:30 pm
HUNTER wrote:Dear Friends,

GIVE ME YOUR VIEW HERE:
=================

Let me know.....

Very Interesting.
I'm in. Basketball Basketball Basketball
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:05 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Here are my suggested rules of the game:
Not in particular order.

* We will stick to just one technique (one trading set up) to buy our trade. (We will discuss and decide on this 'set up' in coming days.

* Once a week, we will find a counter with our 'set-up' and invest the pre-defined amount of money in this counter.

* Once the traded counter reaches the intended profit level, we will sell and mark profits.

* We will not execute any stop losses; i.e. not sell at a loss. In CSE, commissions are so high that taking stop-losses are mostly work against us.

* Since we are not using stop-losses, we need to strictly control our risks by limiting the exposure on any single trade. So, we will put only 1% of our risk capital in one trade. That also means, we will have enough cash to execute nearly all intended 104 trades in this experiment.

What do you all think?
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:28 pm
HUNTER wrote:Here are my suggested rules of the game:
Not in particular order.

* We will stick to just one technique (one trading set up) to buy our trade. (We will discuss and decide on this 'set up' in coming days.

* Once a week, we will find a counter with our 'set-up' and invest the pre-defined amount of money in this counter.

* Once the traded counter reaches the intended profit level, we will sell and mark profits.

* We will not execute any stop losses; i.e. not sell at a loss. In CSE, commissions are so high that taking stop-losses are mostly work against us.

* Since we are not using stop-losses, we need to strictly control our risks by limiting the exposure on any single trade. So, we will put  only 1% of our risk capital in one trade. That also means, we will have enough cash to execute nearly all intended 104 trades in this experiment.

What do you all think?
my personal view. Sorry If i put negatives at the outset.

Trading without a Stop loss /Not sell at a loss. I don't think its a good Idea.
Better  is to set upon selling point in the same trading set-up or have a predetermined Stop loss before we get in to the position.

In my view the one you stated will work  better in an investment on a share based on Fundamentals on Particular share or particular sector. Specially with the Interim's are coming we can find turnaround Companies.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 pm
Know nothing about technicals but willing to participate in the joint effort.
pathfinder
pathfinder
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 pm
Good initiative Hunter,will contribute as time permits.

These days I'm more concerned on LT trading than ST trading
Leon
Leon
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:57 pm
@ Hunter

I'm also a good believer of technical trading. So, I'm in for the assignment.
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:07 am
Thanks @Path , @Leon , @Kith for comments and joining-in; happy to rejoin with you.

serene wrote:
HUNTER wrote:Here are my suggested rules of the game:
Not in particular order.

* Since we are not using stop-losses, we need to strictly control our risks by limiting the exposure on any single trade. So, we will put  only 1% of our risk capital in one trade. That also means, we will have enough cash to execute nearly all intended 104 trades in this experiment.

What do you all think?
my personal view. Sorry If i put negatives at the outset.

Trading without a Stop loss /Not sell at a loss. I don't think its a good Idea.
Better  is to set upon selling point in the same trading set-up or have a predetermined Stop loss before we get in to the position.

In my view the one you stated will work  better in an investment on a share based on Fundamentals on Particular share or particular sector. Specially with the Interim's are coming we can find turnaround Companies.

Yes I'm also, almost always, advise using stop-losses. If most of us here suggest using stop losses in this experiment, let's do so.

Dear all,
Please suggest what do you prefer; use a stop-loss or not?

yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am
Well come again Hunter... Let me be a silent observer in this thread.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:40 am
Hunter,

I thought I'd mention something, while am still here which you"ll might have not thought of. 

I am not sure it is the plan but if you"ll are planning to pick 1 share  for trading and  group  buy  the same ,  it might bring unwanted issues  Wink 

Just think about it
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 am
yellow knife wrote:Well come again Hunter... Let me be a silent observer in this thread.

Hello @Yellow Knife ! I hope you will jump in to water later.
Why not allocating a small % of your capital on this new venture?
May be just for educational purposes... Idea
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am
slstock wrote:Hunter,

I thought I'd mention something, while am still here which you"ll might have not thought of. 

I am not sure it is the plan but if you"ll are planning to pick 1 share  for trading and  group  buy  the same ,  it might bring unwanted issues  Wink 

Just think about it

Thanks SLS. As always your opinions are welcome.

In fact, I also had the same question when planning this. The concept of, 'observer influencing the observed' is very much applicable to markets.

My gut feeling is; the group may not be big enough to affect the overall natural movement of the counters we might choose. I am planning to select counters with enough liquidity at the given time.
Also, we need to be careful when deciding on the set-up.

Let's see how it goes. We will know after few trades.

Please do observe and put forward your suggestions when we move forward.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:12 am
HUNTER wrote:
Please do observe and put forward your suggestions when we move forward.

Forum is active now. Won't be here for   long.

Already put so very much time into the forum  with  many topics and discussions
( which  I didn't see you  participate ) and moderating.

Topcat
Topcat

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm
I am ok with or without SL... I will go with the majority
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:08 am
Message reputation : 100% (3 votes)
We'll do this regarding SL.
At the buying stage, let the trading setup define the SL. Those who want can execute it if the price drops. Others can ignore the SL.

In my case, I will ignore.

Next; we need to think of keeping a trading journal for all trades.
Anyone like to suggest how we should do it?

Let's make this learning experiment interactive.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:25 am
I think YK keeps a good and trackable records and he is the right person for the Trading Journal is my opinion.

HUNTER wrote:We'll do this regarding SL.
At the buying stage, let the trading setup define the SL. Those who want can execute it if the price drops. Others can ignore the SL.

LSE
LSE
Tech Contributor
Tech Contributor

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 am
https://forum.lankaninvestor.com/t7932-mirror-of-predictors-prediction?highlight=mirror

කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:I think YK keeps a good and trackable records and he is the right person for the Trading Journal is my opinion.

Backstage
Backstage
Top contributor
Top contributor

Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 pm
Interesting. If it means participants buying shares in real time, make sure that it is within legal parameters so that some troublemaker does not take advantage.

I will participate to the best of my capabilities and also make some snide comments to keep the plate warm for the return of Guru YYji .
HUNTER
HUNTER
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
LSE wrote:https://forum.lankaninvestor.com/t7932-mirror-of-predictors-prediction?highlight=mirror

කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:I think YK keeps a good and trackable records and he is the right person for the Trading Journal is my opinion.

Dear YK, Do you like the idea?

bounce bounce
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum