The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Question of Allegiance. Empty Question of Allegiance.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 am
Now the World Cup Cricket 2015 has entered its Super 8 stage and all four Test playing Asian teams are in the Super 8 stage.

The fans and money is in the Asian region and I am sure it will be a big boost for broadcasters.

Seeing thousands of fans clad in their favorite team’s attire swarming into ground, I could not help asking aloud the above question.

Most of them are either first or second generation Aussies, but clad in their former place of domicile (or of their parents') team's attire and supporting the team (when it is pitted against their present host country) is not amounting to breach of their pledged allegiance?
pushpakumara

Question of Allegiance. Empty Re: Question of Allegiance.

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:09 pm
That shows how much they love their motherland. When you are out of the country, you feel it more than ever.
yellow knife
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:10 pm
BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER
Hybrid
Hybrid

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
pushpakumara wrote:That shows how much they love their motherland. When you are out of the country, you feel it more than ever.

True allegiance is serving your own nation and where the need is greater.
They lick the backsides of other nations to get slightly ahead in life, take the free education with them, put in airs, forget their parents and grand parents and abandon their duties as citizens, parents, children for selfish motives.

Then they south their conscience by wearing a T shirt bearing their motherland and walk about as if they have done the greatest duty on earth!

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
pushpakumara

Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 pm
Hybrid wrote:
pushpakumara wrote:That shows how much they love their motherland. When you are out of the country, you feel it more than ever.

True allegiance is serving your own nation and where the need is greater.
They lick the backsides of other nations to get slightly ahead in life, take the free education with them, put in airs, forget their parents and grand parents and abandon their duties as citizens, parents, children for selfish motives.

Then they south their conscience by wearing a T shirt bearing their motherland and walk about as if they have done the greatest duty on earth!

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

To an extent you are right. Just a short answer due to time constraints. People go abroad for various reasons but mainly for their own benefit. Just imagine the situation in the country if they have not gone out of country and continue to work in SL. By going abroad they have created opportunities for others take in. Also the inward remittances country receive from people living overseas is a major source of foreign income for SL. They probably would have created more wealth in SL than if they have worked in SL. So by limiting their skills/experience within SL will not help SL to grow as a nation.  Just a little eg. SL sends soldiers to Haiti under UN flag. This creates wealth for Soldier as well as in SL. Like wise there are other examples around if you could dig for some.
This is a topic which needs to be discussed in length  and I agree there are pros and cons in people going abroad. Very Happy
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:03 pm
Thanks for short and lengthy answers posted but the question of question of allegiance has still not been answered.
(I remember some years back, when Pakistan won a match against SL, some who were working in abattoirs have lite up some crackers and the incident create some sort of rift between some communities).
pushpakumara

Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:04 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Thanks for short and lengthy answers posted but the question of question of allegiance has still not been answered.
(I remember some years back, when Pakistan won a match against SL, some who were working in abattoirs have lite up some crackers and the incident create some sort of rift between some communities).

I think you ask this question in relation to Australia.

In Australia you will find Citizens, permanent residents, temporary residents , people who came  on business visa and tourists visa etc.

On the day of the match you will find people representing all these above categories. But  Oath of Allegiance applicable for citizens of Australia only.

The wording of the Oath of Allegiance taken by newly naturalising Australian citizens has changed over time

In 1994 the Oath was replaced with a Pledge of Commitment to Australia:
From this time forward, under God,I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,whose democratic beliefs I share,whose rights and liberties I respect, andwhose laws I will uphold and obey

As an Australian citizen you must:
•obey the law
•defend Australia should the need arise
•serve on a jury if called to do so
•vote in federal and state or territory elections, and in a referendum

By saying so they are not prevented from
•Freedom of speech and freedom of expression
•Freedom of association
•Freedom of religion

So it is a matter of freedom of expression which is highly respected  and a country with people from different  cultural backgrounds who have the freedom to believe the religions they are belonging to.

So in short there is no issue whether you support SL, India or Pakistan or any other country for that matter while being a citizen of Australia.  :

Hope I answered your question to best of my knowledge. D

Last edited by pushpakumara on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:10 pm
Yes and + rep (something I rarely give). Very Happy
pushpakumara wrote:
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Thanks for short and lengthy answers posted but the question of question of allegiance has still not been answered.

In Australia you will find Citizens, permanent residents, temporary residents , people who came  on business visa and tourists visa etc.

On the day of the match you will find people representing all these above categories. But  Oath of Allegiance applicable for citizens of Australia only.

The wording of the Oath of Allegiance taken by newly naturalising Australian citizens has changed over time

From this time forward, under God,I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,whose democratic beliefs I share,whose rights and liberties I respect, andwhose laws I will uphold and obey

•obey the law

•Freedom of association
•Freedom of religion

So it is a matter of freedom of expression which is highly respected  and a country with people from different  cultural backgrounds who have the freedom to believe the religions they are belonging to.

So in short there is no issue whether you support SL, India or Pakistan or any other country for that matter while being a citizen of Australia.  :

pushpakumara

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:18 pm
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Yes and + rep (something I rarely give). Very Happy
pushpakumara wrote:

•obey the law

•Freedom of association
•Freedom of religion

Many thanks to you Kith for the consideration given to my answer. Very Happy
malanp

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:43 pm
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Now the World Cup Cricket 2015 has entered its Super 8 stage and all four Test playing Asian teams are in the Super 8 stage.

The fans and money is in the Asian region and I am sure it will be a big boost for broadcasters.

Seeing thousands of fans clad in their favorite team’s attire swarming into ground, I could not help asking aloud the above question.

Most of them are either first or second generation Aussies, but clad in their former place of domicile (or of their parents') team's attire and supporting the team (when it is pitted against their present host country) is not amounting to breach of their pledged allegiance?

If I am an australian citizen, I will think twice to support any other team, or else I wish both teams.
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:45 pm
Thanks and now I know I am not alone.  Very Happy
malanp wrote:
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:Now the World Cup Cricket 2015 has entered its Super 8 stage and all four Test playing Asian teams are in the Super 8 stage.

If I am an australian citizen, I will think twice to support any other team, or else I wish both teams.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum