The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
serene
Top contributor
Top contributor

A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai Empty A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:33 am
Message reputation : 100% (7 votes)
Guys Found in Facebook...

A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai - an IIT-MIT Alumnus and Global Head Google Chrome and now CEO of Google..

The cockroach theory for self development

At a restaurant, a cockroach suddenly flew from somewhere and sat on a lady.
She started screaming out of fear.
With a panic stricken face and trembling voice, she started jumping, with both her hands desperately trying to get rid of the cockroach.

Her reaction was contagious, as everyone in her group also got panicky.
The lady finally managed to push the cockroach away but ...it landed on another lady in the group.

Now, it was the turn of the other lady in the group to continue the drama.
The waiter rushed forward to their rescue.

In the relay of throwing, the cockroach next fell upon the waiter.

The waiter stood firm, composed himself and observed the behavior of the cockroach on his shirt.

When he was confident enough, he grabbed it with his fingers and threw it out of the restaurant.

Sipping my coffee and watching the amusement, the antenna of my mind picked up a few thoughts and started wondering, was the cockroach responsible for their histrionic behavior?
If so, then why was the waiter not disturbed?
He handled it near to perfection, without any chaos.
It is not the cockroach, but the inability of those people to handle the disturbance caused by the cockroach, that disturbed the ladies.

I realized that, it is not the shouting of my father or my boss or my wife that disturbs me, but it's my inability to handle the disturbances caused by their shouting that disturbs me.

It's not the traffic jams on the road that disturbs me, but my inability to handle the disturbance caused by the traffic jam that disturbs me.

More than the problem, it's my reaction to the problem that creates chaos in my life.
Lessons learnt from the story:

I understood, I should not react in life.
I should always respond.
The women reacted, whereas the waiter responded.

Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well thought of.
A beautiful way to understand............LIFE.

Person who is HAPPY is not because Everything is RIGHT in his Life..
He is HAPPY because his Attitude towards Everything in his Life is Right..!!,,,,,
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai Empty Re: A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:15 am
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Really good one and Thanks serene. Very Happy
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai Empty Re: A beautiful speech by Sundar Pichai

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 am
Message reputation : 100% (6 votes)
Larry Page just announced that Google has become part of a new parent company called Alphabet Inc. As part of the deal, Google's iconic co-founders Page and Sergey Brin stepped out of their roles within Google, appointing Sundar Pichai CEO.

But who is he?

Here are 21 facts you may not know about Google's surprise new CEO:

With this reorganization of Google/Alphabet Inc., Pichai will control: search, ads, maps, the Google Play Store, YouTube, and Android.

In February 2014, Pichai was rumored to be in active negotiations with Microsoft to become that tech giant's third CEO.

His colleagues tell Bloomberg that Pichai tends to walk it out when he's deep in thought. It's not unusual for him to wander away in the middle of a meeting, only to return with the solution to whatever problem is being discussed.

Born in Chennai in the state of Tamil Nadu, India, in 1972, Sundar's full name is Pichai Sundararajan. Though he had a modest upbringing, he's now worth a reported $150 million.

His father, an electrical engineer, had to save for three years to buy the family a new scooter, but made sure Pichai and his brother had the best education the family could afford, at Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan.

Pichai's father told Bloomberg he believes that talking to young Sundar about the challenges in his work as an electrical engineer led to his son's interest in technology.

Pichai was captain of his high school cricket team before earning his bachelor of engineering degree from the Indian Institute of Technology; his MS from Stanford; and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

When Sundar won a scholarship to Stanford, his father withdrew more than his annual salary from the family's savings to fly him to the United States.

Prior to joining Google, he did management consulting with McKinsey & Company.
Pichai has been with Google since 2004, when he joined to lead product management for Google Chrome and Chrome OS. He was involved with Google Drive and went on to oversee Gmail and Google Maps, as well.

In 2011, Pichai drew attention when he was considered to lead product and replace Jason Goldman at Twitter. He chose to stay with Google.

In 2013, Pichai took over Android founder Andy Rubin's portfolio to run mobile platforms. He was also entrusted with wooing more than a billion global users to the Android ecosystem.

According to Business Insider, Pichai was skilled at staying out of politics and drama at Google. When he reported to Marissa Mayer, he reportedly sat outside her office for hours, if necessary, to make sure his team had good performance reviews.

When he was almost lured away to Microsoft, Google reportedly negotiated desperately to retain Pichai for $50 million a year in stocks.

Pichai was on the board of advisors for Ruba Inc. and was a director of Jive Software Inc.

"Android One," Pichai's pet project designed to provide affordable smartphones in all households worldwide, launched in India in September 2014.

Though he was just appointed CEO of Google, Pichai has effectively been responsible for day-to-day operations at Google since October 2014.

Pichai had been Page's right-hand man for some time and is credited with trying to convince WhatsApp founder Jan Koum not to sell to Facebook. He also helped Page convince Nest's Tony Fadell to merge his company with the Google team, among other things.

Dieter Bohn at The Verge describes Pichai's office as "clean to the point of being spartan" and noted that this simplicity was reflected in his demeanor.

Now married to his love Anjali, whom he dated in India before she joined him in the United States, Pichai is the father of two.

Pichai is known for his soft-spoken, diplomatic nature. In 2013, he accompanied Larry Page and Google CBO Nikesh Arora to tour a Samsung factory in South Korea to help build Google's relationship with its partner.

Pichai has an unusual gift that seemed little more than a curiosity to him when he was a child, but has served him incredibly well in adulthood: he has insane numerical recall and can remember every number he's ever dialed.

Link
sashimaal
sashimaal
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:00 am
Message reputation : 100% (4 votes)
Very well said story Serene ! , +

Try to see our life and happenings like a video we are watching . In a movie, if a train comes at us we won't run away, right? Smile ... and this is what was thought as "Sachitha pario dapanan" by Buddha.
nihal123
nihal123
Top contributor
Top contributor

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:50 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Thanks Serene
Sriranga
Sriranga
Veteran
Veteran
http://sharemarket-srilanka.blogspot.co.uk/

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:03 pm
Thanks Serene.
pirate

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:01 am
A wonderful lesson to learn. Thanks serene Smile
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:12 am
" He has insane numerical recall and can remember every number he's ever dialled ".
This, insane numerical recall phenomena I have seen endowed with many South Indians (Keralites / Madrasies) and what could be the reason.
Any explanation ? Very Happy
pirate

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:" He has insane numerical recall and can remember every number he's ever dialled ".
This, insane numerical recall phenomena I have seen endowed with many South Indians (Keralites / Madrasies) and what could be the reason.

some people are born with a naturally better sense of numbers than others.. ( of course education can change it). Different parts of the brain stimulates different areas. Some brains are good at stimulating for colours, picturs etc. Same with the numbers. I have read it somewhere that it has something to do with genes. May be South Indian cluster is having such genes.

Once I met a guy when i was in uni. i introduced him to a friend. He helped to resolve some networking issues with my friends laptop. Few days later, this guy couldn't recall my friend's name, but his IP address. Number guys Smile

කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Top contributor
Top contributor

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 am
pirate wrote:
කිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා wrote:" He has insane numerical recall and can remember every number he's ever dialled ".

some people are born with a naturally better sense of numbers than others.. ( of course education can change it). Different parts of the brain stimulates different areas. Some brains are good at stimulating for colours, picturs etc. Same with the numbers. I have read it somewhere that it has something to do with genes. May be South Indian cluster is having such genes.

Once I met a guy when i was in uni. i introduced him to a friend. He helped to resolve some networking issues with my friends laptop. Few days later, this guy couldn't recall my friend's name, but his IP address. Number guys Smile

Thanks.
I speak to those Indians to see how they see numbers in their minds but yet to find a clue.
I know chines see / teach numbers differently and that was one reason many believe that they are extremely good at Maths. Very Happy
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum