The Investor Sentiment - Equity and investments forum for Sri Lankans

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please send an email to contact.lankaninvestor@gmail.com if you face any technical difficulties when posting
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
CCS.N0000 ( Ceylon Cold Stores)Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:31 amHawk Eye
When Will It Be Safe To Invest In The Stock Market Again?Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:41 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Dividend AnnouncementsWed Apr 12, 2023 5:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
MAINTENANCE NOTICE / නඩත්තු දැනුම්දීමThu Apr 06, 2023 3:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SEYB.N0000 (Seylan Bank PLC)Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:25 amyellow knife
The Korean Way !Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
In the Meantime Within Our Shores! Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:51 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What is Known as Dementia?Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SRI LANKA TELECOM PLC (SLTL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
THE LANKA HOSPITALS CORPORATION PLC (LHCL.N0000)Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Equinox ( වසන්ත විෂුවය ) !Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMB.N0000 (Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:11 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
REXP.N0000 (Richard Pieris Exports PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
RICH.N0000 (Richard Pieris and Company PLC)Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:53 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Do You Have Computer Vision Syndrome?Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:36 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
LAXAPANA BATTERIES PLC (LITE.N0000)Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:23 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What a Bank Run ?Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
104 Technical trading experiments by HUNTERWed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pmkatesmith1304
GLAS.N0000 (Piramal Glass Ceylon PLC)Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Cboe Volatility Index Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:32 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AHPL.N0000Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:46 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
TJL.N0000 (Tee Jey Lanka PLC.)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:43 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CTBL.N0000 ( CEYLON TEA BROKERS PLC)Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:41 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY PLC (COMD. N.0000))Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:43 pmyellow knife
Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
CSD.N0000 (Seylan Developments PLC)Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:38 amyellow knife
PLC.N0000 (People's Leasing and Finance PLC) Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:02 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Bakery Products ?Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:30 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
NTB.N0000 (Nations Trust Bank PLC)Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Going South Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
When Seagulls Follow the TrawlerThu Mar 02, 2023 10:22 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Re-activatingSat Feb 25, 2023 5:12 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
SAMP.N0000 (Sampath Bank PLC)Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
APLA.N0000 (ACL Plastics PLC)Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
AVOID FALLING INTO ALLURING WEEKEND FAMILY PACKAGES.Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Banks, Finance & Insurance Sector ChartTue Nov 15, 2022 5:26 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
VPEL.N0000 (Vallibel Power Erathna PLC)Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:15 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DEADLY COCKTAIL OF ISLAND MENTALITY AND PARANOID PERSONALITY DISORDER MIX.Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:36 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
WATA - WatawalaSat Nov 05, 2022 8:44 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
KFP.N0000(Keels Food Products PLC)Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:42 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Capital Trust Broker in difficulty?Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
IS PIRATING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY A BOON OR BANE?Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:13 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
What Industry Would You Choose to Focus?Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:39 pmකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Should I Stick Around, or Should I Follow Others' Lead?Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:07 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
DV-2024 Program: Online RegistrationThu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 amකිත්සිරි ද සිල්වා
Disclaimer

Information posted in this forum are entirely of the respective members' personal views. The views posted on this open online forum of contributors do not constitute a recommendation buy or sell. The site nor the connected parties will be responsible for the posts posted on the forum and will take best possible action to remove any unlawful or inappropriate posts.
All rights to articles of value authored by members posted on the forum belong to the respective authors. Re-using without the consent of the authors is prohibited. Due credit with links to original source should be given when quoting content from the forum.
This is an educational portal and not one that gives recommendations. Please obtain investment advises from a Registered Investment Advisor through a stock broker

Go down
RPPA
Top contributor
Top contributor

Treasury bill auction held on 18 March 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: Treasury bill auction held on 18 March 2015

Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:39 am
First Guy wrote:RPPA - can you shed some light on the private placements that happened earlier?

Yes there were private placements happened under previous regime. And they also had played the game, where they have offered the lending party max 0.50%-1.00% higher than the normal rate (Never 2.50% above) for larger chunk of money (25Bn or above).In normal scene we know when some one is willing to provide lend large chunk of money you need to pay a premium don't you. That's what has happened. Those sort of things happen not only Sri Lanka but all over the world.That is what a private placement is there for.

But i have not heard a thing like what had happen on 30Yr Bond in any country other than under Mehendran.

But those placements had no effect in the market or the rate fluctuations in the overall economy (now AWPLR is climbing, FD rates are high, Equity market is falling etc had happen).That is the difference. As I said before I am not going to say what they have done is correct. And I am not afraid to say that MR is the biggest crook in this country & he along with his family influenced all other officials to dance to their tunes. You all know if those officials say no what will happen.
slstock
slstock
Veteran
Veteran

Treasury bill auction held on 18 March 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: Treasury bill auction held on 18 March 2015

Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:36 am
Yes I also like to also see a transparent and fair system .
The past 30 year bond event did not qualify such in my thinking and that why I wrote my concerns.

If someone bidded for 10.5% ( as CB inferred 9.5%) they got it.
But anyone who bidded for 12.5% also got it.

Even leaving out the short term issues it created for market and the confidence harm that anyway does not sound fair.

To be fair , even if they badly needed money
1) every one should have been given 12.5% ( highest accepted)
2) or this bond has to be cancelled.

Alternative options should have been to collect money from a) an emergency short term Bond b) treasury bills c) plan/identify this issue to get it from a past or future bond

RPPA wrote:
slstock wrote:RPPA,

What is the main concern you find with this recent  rate  flucuations  for primary dealer  to  conduct business? Is it the more than  expected unpredictability and uncertainty in secondary markets?

1)  To my thinking   any primary dealer would have  expected some secondary market rate change in jan-February due to $ bond payment issues . Am I right? Also due to political instability. They are wiser and more resourceful than share traders naturally.  So  I would have guessed some dealers  may have sold some part to protect themselves in anticipation and be ready to buy at the higher rates as risk mitigation.  

I do see  Perpetual would have made a killing 2 ways ( selling before the rise and buying at the maybe highest).  As they some how seems to have cash to meet transactions deadlines.

2) I see this goverment/CB also wants to keep rates low as possible ( primary rates) . So there is indication that we can expect rates to stalibilize if they do not keep making messes.

Note   I too am very against the procedure followed by CB in the 30 yer old bond matter and then lifting the 5% rate   out of a monetary policy meeting. This is not acceptable transparency.   Also Perpetual  deals I find fishy too. It  also  not they never had issues before.

See my posts  
http://forum.lankaninvestor.com/t4461-cb-fiasco-and-cse-future
http://forum.lankaninvestor.com/t4555-note-to-government-and-members-to-understand

So don't think I don't agree that some irregularities have happened.
But am trying to understand  the issues from dealer perspective.  I saw PM also saying something like he will  not dance to Primary dealer requests

As you said it is uncertainty for sure. But the problem currently PDs are facing is unpredictable uncertainty. So no client is willing to take any positions. Because the big clients, foreigners & the whole market had lost faith in the Governor. Now the market had already had concluded that the Governor is a deal maker after the issue of 30 Bond & the way CBSL issued other bonds in descending order (based on maturity) rather than issuing them in a ascending order. Which is the only way the Government could have benefited. Why they could have raised the required amount of funds at lower cost.

Actually though the government has changed there was not much of a disaster in the economy.Inflation is at the rock bottom. IMF also says Sri lanka doesn't need any immediate financial support.But industry expected an interest rate increase of 0.50 max to absorb miner shocks you have pointed out nothing more. So every body started selling due to fear the rate would have sky rocketing before the elections.

By profession Mahendran is  dealer in HSBC in Singapore in the Investment Banking section. So he is a deal maker. Therefor I don't thing anybody needs rocket science to understand what he has done here. Wink
And please note Perpetual (PP) didn't stop from 30Yr Bond. They continuously & successfully subscribed for other Bonds that came later at higher rates without any fear. So all these are pre planned deals. And now they don't care whether their Primary Dealership is cancelled. Because to get a PD license minimum capital Requirement is Rs.300Mn. And now they could have made at least 2Bn in less than 2 years.Currently half of the market players had stopped dealing with PP due to things that had taken place.And i got to know that Mr. Cabrals wife also director of PP. So this is some kind of a continuation from previous regime. And it got stronger with the appointment of Mahendran.But the previous regime had not interfered the markets.So others not effected much.

PM does not need to react for PD requests. What PDs requests is to have a true, fair & confidential bidding system with out any fevers to known parties. That is to have a fair playing field. No one request favors from any other than PP.

In my opinion for this Governer to understand to system only it will take alt least a year if not more. He is like a alien at the few meetings held. The few words he spoke are rubbish i heard from colleges.

So he should go. It is simple as that.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum